Probe finds 80 alleged sex abuse cases linked to WHO’s DRC workers

 

On Tuesday, a WHO – commissioned investigative panel reported that over twenty-one workers for the World Health Organization in Congo have been accused of sexually abusing women during the Ebola outbreak. So far, over 83 alleged perpetrators linked to the 2018-2020 mission have been identified.

 

The WHO  panel made its findings public months after an Associated Press investigation found senior WHO management was informed of multiple abuse claims in 2019 but failed to stop the harassment and even promoted one of the managers involved.

 

On his part, Malick Coulibaly, one of the panel members, said investigators found out nine rape allegations. 

 

The women raped told panel members that the violators had unprotected sex with them, resulting in some of them getting pregnant. Some women confirmed the rapists had forced them to terminate the pregnancies, Coulibaly said.

 

According to the panel, the WHO should provide reparations to victims and carry out  DNA testing in order to establish paternity and enable women to assert their rights and those of their children.

 

WHO boss, Dr. Tedros  Adhanon assigned the panel’s co-chairs to investigate the allegations following media reports last October that some unnamed humanitarian officials were sexually abusing women during the Ebola outbreak that began in Congo in 2018.

 

He called the report “harrowing” reading and a “dark day” for the UN. Health agency. Due to the scandal, Tedros said four people have already been fired while two were placed on administrative leave, their names withheld.

 

It should be recalled that Dr. Tedros was nominated for a second term only last week by France, Germany, and some other European countries and declined to say if he will resign or not following the scandal.

leave a reply