DR Congo: 10 killed, hospital burned down in fighting

Ten civilians were killed, and a hospital burned down in troubled eastern DR Congo during fighting between government forces and an armed group, said aid groups and local officials on Tuesday.

 

The Kivu Security Tracker (KST) monitor said on Twitter that it had updated its death toll from the Monday attack on Boga village in Ituri province to 10 “after the discovery of five additional bodies.”

“The hospital was set on fire, and a tomb was desecrated in the cathedral,” the group added, saying that two of the attackers were killed in fighting with Congolese armed forces and UN peacekeepers.

 

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said that the general hospital it supports in Boga in Ituri province was “deliberately targeted in a brutal attack” on Monday.

The hospital was “the last structure in the area that provided treatment to people,” said a Doctor.

The army blamed a notorious militia, the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), which on May 31 slaughtered 57 people in the area.

 

Kabimba Zitono, head of the Rubingo administrative area, said at least four civilians were killed and that the church in Boga and the hospital had been burned.

The army said the ADF, which has been blamed for massacring hundreds of people this year, set the hospital ablaze while retreating from government troops.

 

DR Congo president Felix Tshisekedi, on May 6, proclaimed a 30-day “state of siege” in Ituri and neighboring North Kivu province to help stem the violence.

Army officers and police have replaced governors and other senior officials.

 

The measure was renewed for another 30 days by the National Assembly on Thursday.

leave a reply